Error when trying to upgrade to latest build

May 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I am new to VS so I am probably doing something stupid that is causing this error. I developed a webAPI using the LINQtoVFP you wrote. I had it working fine. I noticed you had some new builds of the drivers and the VFP3.5 driver. I attempted to load the new drivers. Now when I try to run my app I get the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'VfpClient3.5, Version=0.5.2.5191, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=78aaa56544ab725d' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified

I am sure I did something wrong. I noticed the Version is not the latest version. I uninstalled all components and reinstalled. I removed all references from my project and re added them. I cleaned my solution. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to resolve this?

By the way, like I said I am new to VS, LINQ and Entity framework but this worked real well, til i mucked it up. Nice job.

We are converting some VFP apps to C# over the next couple of years and I plan on using your components as a way to transition from VFP to SQL server.

Thanks

Ray
Coordinator
May 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Edited May 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Interesting situation. The VfpClient installer shouldn’t have cause any problems when using LinqToVfp – because the installer deals with VfpClient.dll (which is the .Net 4 version)… not VfpClient3.5.dll. Did you modify your WebApi project so that it uses the latest VfpClient3.5.dll? If so, that is probably the problem. I only rebuild LinqToVfp using the latest VfpClient3.5.dll when I’ve made VfpClient changes that I think will benefit LinqToVfp. If your goal is to keep LinqToVfp up to date then I would suggest using the LinqToVfp nuget package. This package will always include the latest VfpClient3.5.dll that the LinqToVfp.dll was built against.
We are converting some VFP apps to C# over the next couple of years and I plan on using your components as a way to transition from VFP to SQL server.
Personally, I would suggest using the VFP Entity framework provider instead of LinqToVfp if this is your goal. I say this because I think this will provide an easier transition (and it is the direction I'm currently taking).
May 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I will use the nugget package and see if that fixes the issue. I am trying to learn about Entity Framework so I probably did not do some stuff right with this project. I will download the VFP Entity framework provider with the example and make sure I am on the right path.

Thanks.

CSILogo

[email removed]

Director of R & D
Courtware Solutions, Inc.
Support: www.courtwaresupport.com
1-678-951-0649 - Local
1-866-530-1452 - Toll free
1-208-692-7574 - Fax
www.Courtware.com or www.RareElement.com

May 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Once I reloaded the NuGet package everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help.