VFP Client for ADO.Net is simply a wrapper around the System.Data.OleDb classes with the goal of reducing pain points when accessing VFP data from .Net. This project is the result of factoring out the VFP ADO.Net code from the
Visual FoxPro Entity Framework Provider projects using the
Sedna DDEXProvider project (Microsoft.Data.FoxClient) as a starting point.
- Simple Connection Strings
- VfpParameter uses VFP Types (not OleDb Types)
- GetString does a TrimEnd automatically
- GetString converts binary strings automatically (such as varchar (binary))
- Type Conversions (Example… you can use GetInt32() to retrieve a N(10, 0) column without getting an error indicating that GetDecmial() should be used)
- Uses named parameters in the same way that SqlCommand does.
This means no question mark place holders in your command text!!! Or having to duplicate parameters just to line up with the number of question marks. (very annoying stuff in my opinion)
- Includes a ToVfpCode method
- Includes Command Tracing (using text from ToVfpCode) - very useful for troubleshooting production issues
- Visual Studio Integration - DDEX (still trying to get this one right)
- Gets VFP specific schema not generic OleDb based schema… including letting your know if a primary key is set as AutoInc.
- Includes stored procedure schema